Digital literacies - Can we adapt to a changing world?

Digital literacies – Can we adapt to a changing world?

Many of us grew up using the old version of pen and paper.  Everything was paper based, from company financial statements to lecturing notes and textbooks.  Eventually everything changed to an electronic version.  We had to start adapting to digital literacies.  The question we are faced with now, is if we are ready for everything being digital.  For us that is in a lecturing position, we must keep up with the students needs.  Our students, mostly born just before the new millennium, are digitally inclined and not used to the old paper and pen method.  We therefore had to adapt our teaching methods, to keep our students interested.

Gone are the days of a lecturer standing in front of a class and lecturing.  You can’t just use the “chalk and talk” method anymore.  You are now an actor who must entertain your students.  They don’t seem to be able to gain their knowledge from the old methods.  We have technology to our exposure and we must use it.  An ideal lecture will be using some sort of digital enhancement.  Being part of teacher education, we must make sure to be an example for our students.  No lecture session can happen without the use of at least PowerPoint slides.  The ideal lecture session will include the use of Prezi (https://prezi.com/), Padlet (https://padlet.com/ ) and maybe a quick quiz on Kahoot! (https://kahoot.it/ ).

Taking all of this into consideration, I should be feeling comfortable using digital tools in my lecturing.  Sadly, I’m not always comfortable with digital tools.  There is always the fear of looking inadequate in front of the students.  It was extremely interesting to hear from the other participants in our group that they also have the same fears and sometimes have feelings of inadequacies. 


I’m glad that I’ve decided to do ONL172.  It is good to realize that I’m not the only one that sometimes feels overwhelmed with digital literacies.  We’re lifelong scholars.  The learning process never stops. 

Comments

  1. Very interesting how we often translate our fears of looking inadequate into a lack of technical capacity, rather than allowing for challenging the fear itself. The first step in such a challenge is of course, as you do, to identify the existence of a fear, to accept inadequacies and to try to do something about them or how to live with them. Thanks for your sharing in this matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your reflection Sanet! Although i really like new ways of communication with Students, just like You, sometimes I prefer pen and paper, but is it bad? Although according to Prensky I'm digital immigrant, usually i have the feeling that I'm following my Students - when we learn new tool toogether i do not feel that i can't catch up! From my observations - A little thing that divides us - They are comfotable with touchpad, I prefer computer mouse ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is bad to prefer pen and paper. Sometimes my ideas are more creative if I'm sitting with a pen in my hand. Most important is just to keep your lectures interesting, even if it is by not using digital tools. Remember that it is always good to experiment with new ideas, but it's not to say that you have to use it.

      Delete
  3. Thank-you for sharing. I agree with you, using tech in the classroom is very nerve wrecking, its always so easy for something to go wrong, but as Lars says if we face the fear ahead of time then we will not allow our fear stop us from experimenting in our classroom. I find using digital tools that are fit for purpose are the ones to try out in your classroom, students quickly pick up if you are using a digital tool for the sake of using one. Add digital tools to your teaching tool kit slowly, move at a pace you are comfortable with. Your willingness to continually learn and improve your teaching practice is inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your reflection. I have to admit that I am sometimes concerned that students don't consider the online learning as the lecturer doing his/her job. I need to find a way of sharing the true value of online.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post. But technology in itself does not enhance the teaching. Many power point presentations are just replacement of the blackboard, and might even impair the teaching. It is for example easier to overload the students with information when you use powerpoint or other presentation software since you are not restricted by the fact that you have tor write the stuff yourself.

    In fact, I know of some really appreciated lecturers that left the power point behind and returned to talk and chalk. The students love it!

    With this said, technology really has a huge potential to enhance education. (If I didn't believed this I would probably not be in this course)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 100% agree Magdalena! The use of technology isn't going to make a lecture more interesting. I think technology should just be an enhancing tool. Some lecturers work very well without technology, others can't teach if they don't have technology.

      I try and teach my education students that you must be able to do both. You have to have a back up plan in case of technology failing you.

      Delete
  6. As you seem to believe, I believe that my view of students’ technology abilities drives me to learn more about new technologies to use when teaching. However, many times I realize, that many students are not at all capable of using, as in my view are, basic computer programs, such as Excel. I have considered some computer programs as basic knowledge, but where the students’ knowledge is very basic. So, many times I overestimated their knowledge. That however doesn’t mean that I shouldn´t use the technologies, but I also needs to give directions of how they should apply it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you seem to believe, I believe that my view of students’ technology abilities drives me to learn more about new technologies to use when teaching. However, many times I realize, that many students are not at all capable of using, as in my view are, basic computer programs, such as Excel. I have considered some computer programs as basic knowledge, but where the students’ knowledge is very basic. So, many times I overestimated their knowledge. That however doesn’t mean that I shouldn´t use the technologies, but I also needs to give directions of how they should apply it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For example when You are reading the book, its always for me better to read real book, which has paper and ink smell :) Some things are still closer to us, and I think we don't need to change them :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Openness and lecturing

Lessons learnt - future practice