Technology and collaborative learning

Technology and collaborative learning

Topic 3 of the ONL172 course got me thinking about cooperation, collaboration and teamwork.  We, as South African lecturers and teachers, are constantly reminded of the benefits of group work.  We use it in our teaching, but it mostly happens with lots of students who complain about it.  If we must be honest to ourselves, we all hate group work.  We always have the situation of one person who is not doing their part of the work.  How can this be solved?  Can technology help?

During our group discussions for ONL172 we realised that there is a huge amount of technology, in the form of apps, that can enhance collaborative learning and still give the individual a chance to be recognised for their part in the collaboration.  Wikispaces (www.wikispaces.com) is one of the wonderful tools that can be used.  I particularly liked the tracking system of the app.  It gives the facilitator the opportunity to track individual students while they’re collaborating on a topic.  That might be a way to keep an eye on the students who are not pulling their weight.


During Topic 3 I’ve really experienced the value of cooperation and collaboration.  The group members were helping each other to formulate ideas while discussing the scenario.  The concept of brainstorming together as a group is amazing.  The process helps the student to focus their ideas.  Working actively together in a group is beneficial to the whole group.  We used Popplet (www.popplet.com) as our tool for our final presentation.  We we’re able to see each member’s contribution but were also able to have a collaborated version.  The outcome of the work is also of better quality and better thought through than if it was only one student’s work.  I’ve changed my preconceived ideas of group work.  There is definitely value in group work, even if we sometimes hate it.

Comments

  1. Insights of great value, I must say. I fully agree that the major strength during topic 3 was the respectful, open-minded and illuminating discussions making collaboration visible. It was not outcome directed, and the outcome is more of a learning result, than a formal presentation. I think the group learnt a fair bit about ways of working, and the members a bit about themselves. In that sense I fully agree with you that the result from topic 3 is paramount to all of us. The actual presentation presented allowed us to learn a bit about a new tool, yes for sure, but the way we used it to illustrate, what we as group gave ourselves the opportunity to learn during the topic, is questionable.
    And I don't hate group work, but sometimes I dislike it ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, looking at it now "hate" might've been too strong. "Dislike" is definitely a better choice of words. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Group work is always challenging, but when you get it right, it can be very powerful for learning. I also find group work tricky/challenging to be part of, but the ONL course has certainly taught me the merits of it. It's a great pity we did not get to use Wikispaces, its a tool I intend to explore more. Thanks for sharing, you have shared some very interesting insights.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I can definitely relate to the first paragraph.

    The second and third have given me food for my ever growing list of apps and websites I need to be aware of. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now since we have finished with modules, I got time to read some blogs. It was challenging to make this module happen but was in the same time nice. No leader and everyone need to push the car to the garage. I agree with you for the availability of the enormous e-tools available now. Just need to know how we want to deliver the message nicely. Well done

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Openness and lecturing

Digital literacies - Can we adapt to a changing world?