Design for online and blended learning

Design for online and blended learning

My participation with the ONL course made me reflect on my own lecturing style.  My modules are all face to face tuition.  How can I develop my modules to incorporate an online learning side to it?

Most of the modules at my institute of higher learning have a 10% digital component to it.  Unfortunately, most of my courses don’t have a digital component to it, it is still in the development phase.  Nothing is stopping me in the meantime to add a digital aspect to it. I can add a tool like Wikispaces to it to get the students involved with the module outside of their contact tuition time. 

The Wikispaces page will be for each of my modules that have no digital component to it.  We do a continuous assessment during the module.  My plan is to do the continuous assessment on a digital platform.  I also want to get the students active in blogging to share ideas regarding different lesson units.  The process of blogging will hopefully stimulate the students in their way of thought. My aim is also to show my students the advantages of collaboration, but still want to be able to track their individual contribution.  Wikispaces will help me with that.  It was designed with a tracking element in it.


I’ve definitely learnt a lot in my participation in the ONL course and I will try my best to share it with my students. 

Comments

  1. I am in the same position as Sanet, in that I am expected to add a digital component to my courses. I am also going to do my ongoing assessments in a digital space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I relate to what you mention. The courses where I'm involved in teaching, most of them don't have an online component. Although they do have a really strong collaboration component that can benefit with all these methodologies and tools. I'm currently tutoring also Chemical Engineering Design, and the course, even though it is not online, it is clearly inspired on the Scaffold model and I think it is working really well.
    Also, I did enjoy a lot working with you on our PBL group, with you being very supportive and constructive! All the best for you, Sanet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Openness and lecturing

Digital literacies - Can we adapt to a changing world?

Technology and collaborative learning